CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 11, 2011

In case I forget....Where I was on 9/11



Ladies and Gentleman, it has been ten years since the tragedies of 9/11. So instead of blogging about random happenings that I experienced throughout the week, I thought I'd take a few minutes to remember where I was and thoughts and feelings I experienced as America's history was changing forever...So here it is, my journal entry from 9/11.

September 11, 2001
This morning I woke up and got ready for a horribly repetitive day of my 9th grade life...Since I was ahead of schedule,I thought that I'd turn on the television. I can still remember seeing that first plane crash into the first tower of the Trade Center. Tahia (my younger sister) and I walked to school without much thought of what had happened. It wasn't until the beginning of 1st period that the topic of the plane crash was brought up. My teacher, Mrs. Draper asked if any of us had heard about the plane that crashed into one of the world trade towers. Some raised their hands. Apparently, it was a huge deal. After class ended, it was time for T.A. class. Ms. Wehan rolled in a tv and it was then that the 2nd plane had crashed...Many girls were talking through the whole broadcast and Ms. Wehan was furious. She told us that this event would lead us into a war. I didn't believe her, but as the day went on, it was hard to deny it. I went to seminary and of course had a class discussion on the event. I can remember walking with Marie Bentley and discussing the signs of the 2nd coming with her. You know, wars and rumors of wars seemed to put people in astonishment. Today has become a sensitive day to the American People. Lives were lost...so many lives...The world trade towers collapsed, leaving so many children fatherless, motherless...it is extremely sad. I came home from school and the news is showing footage of the men and women who couldn't escape the towers in time...There were people with no other option but to leap from the buildings or burn alive. God help us. God help the American people...

-End of journal entry

"We will never forget." This is a line that I have heard over and over since 9/11. It was amazing to see what kind of unity the American people were capable of but extremely sad that it took such a tragic event for people to look towards one another for guidance. It amazes me that during that time, God and religion became more common in people's lives. People turned a lot to their respective faiths during the first few years following this tragedy but slowly...slowly people forgot. It's crazy to think that ten years ago, people were crying out, "My God! Help us!" but today, mentioning God can potentially offend some so He is not spoken of as openly as He was during 9/11. So here are a few of my thoughts...I really will never forget. I will never forget that as a child, I stood every morning at school and recited the Pledge of Allegiance. I'll never forget that growing up, people were allowed to feel patriotic without worrying about "offending" people. I'll never forget that on 9/11, so many lives were affected and many more sacrificed so much so that they could fight for our freedoms. I'll never forget watching those towers fall and even though I didn't quite understand the changes that were coming at the time, I can fully reflect on the events of 9/11 now and humble myself...I'll never forget that the life that is mine to live is protected by men and women of our military. Most of all, I'll never forget God's influence and that it is okay to speak of His divinity. I'll never forget any of it...I hope that some of you take the time to reflect on the events of 9/11 and where you were. After all, your children and grand children and great grand children will ask you, "Where were you on 9/11?"

1 comments:

Anonymous

Thank you Heiporo for putting into words what I want to express to everyone but I lack the gift of writing that you have.

Post a Comment